Francis Lamont Innovations Ltd - 'FLI'
Welcome to our new website - launched at midday on Monday 27 February 2012.
We created FLI to answer some design and development challenges asked by a pioneering surgeon who is focused on the reduction in hospital length of stay after major joint surgery.
We are a 'spin-out' from a well established design, development and manufacturing business with a versatile team and many years of experience in solving problems and unmet needs by designing pragmatic and innovative solutions.
Our 'founding project' is a device to assist surgeons in a particular approach to total hip replacement, known variously as 'Direct Anterior Supine', 'Anterior Minimally Invasive', 'Minimally Invasive Anterior' and 'Direct Anterior Approach'.
Our solution to the perceived problem that the extra difficulty of carrying out DAA hip replacement is a major barrier to its adoption, in spite of the many benefits to the patients and the cost savings, is called the 'Francis Lamont Orthopaedic Table Extension' or 'FLOTE'.
We have carried out many cases of DAA hip replacement using FLOTE with great success and with a big impact of hospital length of stay - typically ~2-2.5 days compared with a UK national average of 7-8 days. In fact ~30% of otherwise healthy patients go home 'next day'.
The potential cost saving to a major hospital or health system from the reduced LOS alone is potentially hundreds of millions of pound each year.
We are now in the process of examining the optimum routes to market for our patented device, with the objective of achieving major adoption and diffusion as quickly and widely as possible.
To this end we are very interested to hear from potential 'partners' and investors with interests in the following sectors:
- Surgeons already familiar with and practising with DAA - to test and evaluate our FLOTE device
- Surgeons keen to adopt DAA but with concerns about the learning curve and perceived difficulties - to see if what we propose will overcome their concerns
- Hospitals with an active attitude to both innovation and improved patient pathways that can also save money
- Implant manufacturers looking to develop a 'joint approach' by optimising their implants for DAA and training surgeons in surgery using FLOTE
- Investors interested in assisting us in reaching our ambitious targets more quickly